Mark S. Bagula, Esq.Partner Bagula, Riviere, Coates and Associates, LLP
Mr. Bagula has seventeen years of litigation experience. Mr. Bagula has obtained favorable results in all types of cases, some of which include:
Unfair Business Practices
Breach of Contract
Mr. Bagula zealously represents his clients through all phases of the dispute.
Attorney Mark Bagula believes in the cost efficiencies associated with resolving cases through mediation and settlement conferences. Although most cases settle before a trial, Mr. Bagula has tried to conclusion more than 80 cases before juries, judges, arbitration panels, and administrative law judges. Mr. Bagula has obtained more than $60 million in settlements, judgments, awards, and verdicts for plaintiff clients. Mr. Bagula has obtained numerous defense verdicts, summary judgments and favorable defense settlements for defendants. Mr. Bagula has resolved cases for defendants well below the claimed damages. In dollar terms, a conservative estimate of what Mr. Bagula has saved defendants over the years equates to more than $40 million (in settlements, judgments, awards, and verdicts).
Mr. Bagula is admitted in all California Courts, and before the Southern, Central, and Eastern Federal District Courts of California. In addition to briefing an appeal before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, he has briefed and orally argued appellate cases before both the Second Circuit and Fourth Circuit Courts of Appeal. Mr. Bagula has appeared in the courts of other states with the sponsoring of local counsel, such as: Vermont, Massachusetts, Texas, Nevada, Arizona, South Carolina, Washington, and Colorado.
In addition to his legal practice, Mr. Bagula is active in the legal community. Mr. Bagula is a member of the San Diego County Bar Association and serves as a Trustee on the San Diego County Law Library Justice Foundation. He is likewise active in various social organizations. Mr. Bagula previously served as President of the Democratic Professional Club, and the Mission Valley Rotary Club. He is currently Vice-President of Understanding Climate Change, a non-profit organization, which works with Scripps Institute scientists to educate the local community about climate change.
Mr. Bagula is a graduate of the University of California, San Diego and earned his Juris Doctorate Degree from the University of San Diego School of Law. He graduated early from both schools.
Areas of Practice
- Trial Practice
- Business Torts and Alter Ego
- Commercial and Corporate Litigation
- Unfair Business Practices
- Employment Litigation
- Business/Real Estate Litigation
- Construction and Construction Defect
- Breach of Contract
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
- Trade Secrets
- Homeowners Association Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Medical Business Law
- Shareholder and Partnership Dispute Resolution
- Derivative suits
State Bar of California, 1994
Alternative Dispute Resolution Certification
Certified Mediator, San Diego Mediation Center (1992)
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- All Superior Courts in California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- California Court of Appeals, 2nd District
- California Court of Appeals, 4th District
- Past admission (Pro Hac Vice) in the Courts of Massachusetts, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Texas, and Vermont.
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego
- University of California San Diego
- “Trustees of the Justice System: Quasi-Judicial Activity and the Failure of the 1990 ABA Model Code of Judicial Conduct“, San Diego Law Review, Volume 31, No. 3.
Lecturer, United States Legal System, The University of California, San Diego
- San Diego County Bar Association, Member
- San Diego County Law Library Justice Foundation, Trustee
- Lambda Alpha International
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Pro Bono Activities
- Past-President, Democratic Professional Club
- Member and Past-President, Mission Valley Rotary Club
- Vice-President, Understanding Climate Change